What is SEO?
SEO stands for 'search engine optimization' and in short, is the process of getting organic visitors to your website. Your aim should be to get your website on the first page of search results and whilst you can pay to be there, it usually isn't a viable option for small businesses. Whilst SEO refers to any search engine (Bing, Yahoo etc.), Google owns 71% of the global search engine market and therefore is the one you should be focussing on. Google's SEO algorithm is top secret but here is what we do know:
There are a number of elements that contribute towards SEO:
- Keywords - these are the words your visitors might use to search for your site, such as 'web designer', 'web developer' etc.
- Links - the more inbound and outbound links your site has the higher your site ranking will be
- Updates - search engines crawl your site dependent on how frequently your page content changes
What can I do?
- Think about what keywords your visitors could use to search for your site and ensure these are all written in your website
- Ensure all of your social media has links to your website
- Update your site regularly, this could be changing images, adding products or even writing a blog post once a week
- Be patient! It takes time to reach the fist page of search results but it's definitely worth the wait once you're there!